Monday, February 25, 2013

Lotion Bars [Contained!]

Serendipity & Nice Surprises

Yesterday, the kitchen/lab space was dedicated to making DIY skin treatments.  First, approximately 40+ pots of Anti~Aging Healing Salve {Click HERE for Recipe}.  Next, my blog project - Lotion Bars.


I've always thought a Lotion Bar was a great idea.  I found a basic recipe on Wellness Mama for Pain Relief Lotion Bars {HERE} and I had the ingredients on hand, bonus!  Salve was done, time to start the Lotion Bars. 

 
Right about then, my son arrives with a new table that he made, so beautiful!  Of course, I had to rearrange furniture immediately to find the perfect spot for my new table...enter Serendipity.  Oh - my - back!!  It started to spasm so down I went to lie flat on the floor and stretch it out.  Whilst lying there, I pondered Lotion Bars.  What will I keep them in?  What other applications can Lotion Bars be used for?  Hmmm...

Now, I'm excited to share the brain storm...which I wouldn't have had if I hadn't been lounging around :))  My answer to "containing" a Lotion Bar is the trusty Altoid tin - just pour the melted oils right in and you're mobile.  No silicone molds to order online, no extra shipping costs just a pure practicality (especially when hubby takes the mints to work).



Meet the MINI, Altoids Smalls.
{oh my...the uses!}  

No need to wait 2 days or pay shipping costs, just run to your local convenience store or market for a few of these!

Trust me, they're a bargain...especially after I show you all of their possibilities :))

You might want to pick up a couple of full size tins too.



The basic Lotion Bar recipe is simple:  1/3 cup coconut oil, 1/3 cup shea butter and 1/3 cup beeswax pellets all plopped into a mason jar for a slow melt.  Just like making CW All Purpose Healing Salve as shown.  With one batch, I filled 2 full size tins, 2 minis and approximately 15 small lip balm pots! 




FYI!  
Every container you fill can be a custom blend depending on the EOs you select :))


VARIATIONS...

Deodorant (large tin):  Solid & healthy!  Portable & Packable!
~ add 6 drops each:  Frankincense, Lavender, Lemon


Solid Carrier Oil (large tin):  Keep in your purse, desk, first aid kit, backpack!
~ add 10 drops Frankincense for it's Enhancing properties.  Any oil you choose to use with this solid version of carrier oil will be enhanced with the addition of Frankincense.


Lip Balm (mini tin or pot):  The coconut oil & shea butter creates a luscious balm!
~ Mini: add 10 drops Peppermint, 3 drops Frankincense
~ Pot: add 6 drops Peppermint, 2 drops Frankincense


There were some snags in the process...


Ingenuity to the rescue:  

Clean up leaks or overflow after the oils have cooled and save in an extra lip balm container.




The Lotion Bar recipe an EASY way to make at least { 3 } different types of skin care products with one simple recipe.  


Experiment with your EOs combinations for customizable use, such as Sandalwood and Frankincense for a more masculine deodorant scent.  Note:  I encourage you to use Frankincense in deodorant due to the close proximity of so many lymph nodes.


Have Fun, Get Creative! 
{share your new uses for lotion bars too, we'd love to know}

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment