Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Whipped Coconut Oil Cleanser with EOs




~ Grace For Your Face ~


If you didn't get the memo, coconut oil is no longer the bad guy.  It's been cleared of all wrong doing and deemed healthy by the scientific community.  As many of us already know, there are SO many ways to use it, eat it...and even blog about it :)

One of my absolute favorite uses of coconut oil is for my face. Every night, I wash my face with organic extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil + a few other goodies that we'll get to shortly!







Google {Oil Cleanse} and you will see that it's not a new idea. Although it's not the norm, I prefer organic coconut oil because of it's antimicrobial and anti-toxin properties. Virgin coconut oil does not clog your pores!  If you have toxins below the surface, coconut oil will purge them in a matter of a few days to a few weeks. 


If you're prone to break outs, coconut oil is great.  It will open up the pores and release built up toxins that have accumulated from various skin products, dirt, trapped oil etc. There is a possibility that during the detox period you could suffer a breakout resulting from the toxins being pushed up to the surface but it will subside once the pores are cleansed.  Believe it or not, this protocol is excellent for the acne prone.





It was my sister, who introduced me to this new method last year when she blogged about Oil Cleansing.  

Since then, I've had time to tweak the ingredients a bit...including the main one, coconut oil.  I appreciate our.  In short, oil pulls/cleanses oil from pores. Who knew??





Simple Basic Recipe

*1  1/2  Cups Organic Coconut Oil
1  Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil





On a warm day, I let the coconut oil soften in the sun for a few minutes so I can get a smooth consistency when mixing in the olive oil and EOs.  It's not entirely necessary, but if I have the time, I take this extra step.


A Few Handy Tips 
_______________________________

To get the smooth consistency, I use a hand mixer.  The cleanser will harden slightly after it completely cools down if the temp in your home is under 76 degrees.  A plastic canning jar is my container of choice, it's air tight and non-breakable.
 



Remember, a little goes a long way, so a single batch will last quite a long time.

To enhance the coconut oil cleanser I like to add EOs for my dry skin:
Lavender, Geranium, Ylang Ylang and Frankincense.  3 drops of each for a single batch.  

Part of the beauty of this recipe is the ability to customize it with essential oils that are suitable for your skin type!


  

When washing your face with oil, it's important to use a washcloth and hot water, as hot as you can handle it.  Spread approximately 1 teaspoon of cleanser evenly over your face.  Take a hot wash cloth and hold it against your face, moving it, pressing it...steaming your face.  Rinse the wash cloth and repeat two more times.  This will ensure your pores will open up and let the coconut and accompanying oils get to the toxins.

If you're just getting started with essential oils, start simple with Lavender only.  If you're prone to breakouts, add some Melaleuca along with the Lavender!  Consider yourself a modern apothecary, creating beautiful products for your skin from pure ingredients! 

Don't be afraid to experiment...make it your own!


No comments:

Post a Comment