Friday, April 13, 2012

Camp Wander's DIY Lip Balm


I garden, hike, work and live in Wyoming, a recipe for disaster for anyone's skin.  While there are plenty of worthy moisturizing products out there, most fall short of my expectations and, take a bite out of my wallet.  The cosmetic conundrum is such a money pit!




If I calculated how much money I've spent on moisturizing products for my skin and hair over the years, I just know I would shout expletives loud enough for the neighbors to wonder if they just heard an expletive...is that wrong?









The Conservatory.


I've blogged about The Practical Magic of Home & Garden before and I really, truly believe it exists.  To create, is to bring magic into your life.  Even something as simple as a lip balm can infuse a sense of abundance, health and wisdom in your home. 


"In my book, gardening and home keeping are spiritual acts of a practical nature, with a magical outcome."  Me.



This is a simple, pure lip balm made from simple, pure ingredients for all ages.  

To help you out in case you too live in the middle of nowhere, I've linked to the items I ordered from Amazon, see the side toolbar.  Your local health food store is a good source too (if you're lucky enough to have one).



Blooper!


List of Ingredients: (fills approximately 20 tubes if you don't make a mess and waste a bunch like "yours truly").

1/4 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup shea butter
1/4 cup beeswax (pastilles, for easier melting)
20 drops of Lavender essential oil

I chose lavender for it's soothing and antibacterial properties.

Okay! Measure out all ingredients into a glass jar and place in a pan of hot water filled to halfway up the glass jar.  Turn heat to medium/low.  Let the ingredients melt, stirring occasionally with a knife.  Be careful not to get any water in the jar.


After all the oils have melted into each other, add the essential oil and stir.  I spared you the photos of my mess however, I used a 1 cup measuring cup with a spout to "carefully" pour the hot liquid into the tiny tubes without a lot of success, I missed a lot!  But, the oil is pretty forgiving...it cleaned up just fine with a few paper towels and a hot, wet dish towel.



So you see, despite my ineptness, they turned out beautifully!  Lovely tubes of natural ingredients that you can use in good health, give to all your friends or hoard for yourself.  I use mine on my lips of course but it's also lovely around the eyes.  

The shelf life of a product like this is approximately one year.


Blooper!

I have to say, I feel so good using products like this lip balm and Gardeners Salve.  Not only do I see and feel an improvement in my skin, I know that what I'm using is pure and natural.  

All in all, there's a little magic in all of us...why not channel yours and create your own signature skin care!

Rebecca






No comments:

Post a Comment