Sunday, April 8, 2012

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cake!



Welcome back my old, old, old friend... 
Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cake!

How can it be one of my favorite recipes was relegated to the back of my recipe box and nearly forgotten? 

Yes, I said recipe box, I'm a dinosaur.  ComPLETEly non-digital when it comes to organizing recipes.  I have a "recipe box" on the FoodNetwork website, does that count?

Yesterday I was experiencing birthday cake withdrawal so I started pouring over cookbooks.  I quickly realized I would have to make a grocery run if I wanted to make one of the fancy cookbook cakes.  I did NOT want to go to the store so I pulled out the old "antique" recipe box and let my fingers do the walking.  I danced "the dance of life" *grin* when I found my old friend.  I love this cake because it calls for simple stuff that most of us have in our pantry already.  I love old recipes for their simple ingredients.

The simple stuff.








Recipe for Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cake

1 C. old fashioned oats
1 1/4  C. boiling water
1 stick of butter

Combine all 3 ingredients in a bowl and let sit for 20 min.

1 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1/2 t. vanilla
1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt 
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg

Topping:

1 stick of butter
3 T. milk
1 C. brown sugar, packed
1/4 t. vanilla
1 1/2 C. cornflakes, any kind of cereal flake
1 C. chopped pecans (optional)
1 C. coconut shreds (optional)


Combine butter, oats and boiling water - let sit for 20 min.


Add sugars in a mixer.







Add 2 large eggs and mix in one at a time.






Add the dry ingredients and combine.






Butter soaked oats go in next...mmmmm!






Combine all ingredients together.  Here's to togetherness!







Pour batter into a 11 X 7 greased baking pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

















Time to make the topping!


Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the milk and brown sugar.  Simmer for approximately 5 min...until almost at the soft ball stage.  This will give your icing a caramel flavor, well worth the time!




Combine all topping ingredients now and spread over the hot cake that you just removed from the oven.




Place under the broiler for a few minutes until topping is golden brown, but be careful...this happens quickly!  This step creates a crunchy crust on top of the cake, a bit of buttery bliss.



And there you have it, old fashioned goodness in a cake.


Serve warm with good vanilla ice cream, heavenly!

Enjoy, my friends.


Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment