Friday, April 27, 2012

Zen & the Art of Sewing




Just a tiny confession before I jump into this post, I haven't sewn anything in a very long time if you don't count patching my son inlaw's pants.

I don't pretend, profess or deserve the title of seamstress, crafter or quilter.


But, despite my confession, I used to know my way around a sewing machine. I love fabric, color and texture and, once upon a time, before divorce, single momhood, and living half my life like a frightened nitwit...

I was...a darn good seamstress.

I call this zen, with a western twist.


Life happens, so they say.  There's a time and a season, I've heard.  But sometimes, one must kick ones self in the kiester and make things happen.  For a very long time, I've rationalized, excused and justified not sitting and being still at my machine, I'm really not sure why.  It might be the sitting part, it's difficult to be still.  But today I "needed" to and I'm happy to say, I did!


I kicked my butt into our little quilting shop in town and I carefully selected just the right fabric for my project (love this part).  I listened to two cheery women talk about road trippin with their GPS, stopping at quilts shops across the west.  Very hip ladies with quilt addictions and technology.  Cool.  I felt peaceful and a sense of belonging with fabrics at my touch and happy creators in my space.   Aren't girlfriends just the best??



That lovely peace and contentment stayed with me as I bumbled through my long over due reunion with my Bernina.  However, you're going to have to bear with me through this tutorial, as it's a little rough.  Someone put their wine glass in almost every picture...


Wait a minute...I have a better idea!


It just so happens that Megan of Brassy Apple has a pretty tutorial that I followed, and no one rudely set their glass down in it either :)  Here we go!

Measure your camera strap and determine how much fabric you will need.  A conventional strap is 22" long and 1.5" wide.

You can get fancy and use different fabrics together or keep it simple...like moi, and use just one.


Cut a piece of fusible fleece for extra padding for the strap, or just use an extra piece of fabric like I did to add more body.  Keeping it simple!



You can run a stitch down the length of the strap for a quilted look, or not.  I did this because I like the look!





Fold the ends over and sew to secure, this will finish the ends of your strap.


Now, with right sides together, sew down the length of the fabric then turn right side out.










That's it!  You now have your gorgeous, custom camera strap.  Now isn't it nice to cover up that boring black one you've been wearing?


  







Ahhh...finally, I feel at one with the world.





Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment