Monday, July 16, 2012

5 Reasons to Start using Essential Oils


A few days ago I posted a "How to Apply Essential Oils" reference chart and honestly, I was pleasantly surprised at the positive feedback!  


Some of you sent emails wanting to know how to get started with essential oils, a totally valid question!  I was a bit daunted in the beginning too.  So, let's start with the medicine cabinet and my 5 alternatives for OTC products.




Most of our medicine cabinets look like the left side of the photo, am I right?  Did you know that a few essential oils, can replace most if not all the OTC products you're harboring in your medicine cabinet?  Well, you can!




This is my collection of essential oils that I've acquired over time.


I was skeptical in the beginning.  Originally, I bought a few oils from my DIL to help her get started as a rep of doTERRA oils.


I started with Lavender, Lemon and Balance (a blend of oils).


Lavender was my undoing!  The beginning of my love affair with essential oils. 

My list of the magnificent 5 includes:


1.  LAVENDER
{RESTFUL SLEEP and so MUCH more!}


Lavender is the most versatile essential oil out there!   "When in doubt, use lavender"...is my motto.  I started using it for restful sleep.  Every night I rub 2 drops of lavender on each foot.  Hello sleep!  It super for soothing insect bites, burns and rashes too.  I diffuse lavender in the bedroom so my stubborn man who refuses to put lavender on his feet reaps the benefits too.

Analgesic, anticoagulant, anticonvulsant, antidepressant, antifungal, antihistamine, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antimutagenic, antiseptic, antispasmotic, antitoxic, antitumor, regenerative and sedative.

2.  LEMON
{Sore throats, runny nose, intestinal parasites, liver cleanser,  useful for: household DIY cleaners, cooking, skin products}


I add 2 drops of lemon oil in a glass of water to aid in liver cleansing.  My daughters swipe lemon oil on each side of their baby's nose to stop a runny nose.  Make yourself a citrusy body scrub with coconut oil, sugar and a few drops of lemon!

Antifungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, antiviral, astringent, refreshing and tonic. 

3.  PEPPERMINT
{Headaches, fever, breath freshener, digestive difficulty, tooth aches, sooth and cool skin}



Peppermint is the oil I reach for when someone is running a fever.  A drop or two on the bottom of each foot is all it takes for a relatively rapid drop in temp., an amazing oil!  Very soothing for stomach upsets as well.  Works wonders on headaches, just swipe a tiny bit at the temples.  Great as a breath freshener, a drop on your toothpaste is awesome!


Analgesic, antibacterial, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antiviral and invigorating.


4.  MELALEUCA (tea tree oil)
{Heals cuts, wounds and skin infections, burns, candida, cold sores, fungal infections, viral infections, inflammation}




Melaleuca is unparalleled as an anti-viral or anti-fungal.  On a personal note (ewww factor), I got rid of a toenail fungus by putting a drop of melaleuca oil on infected toenail after showering.  I've treated this toenail with various remedies for almost 3 yrs without success.  Melaleuca did the trick and now I can get pedicures again!  My husband suffered from a canker sore invasion in his mouth, a few swishes of Melaleuca oil and water quickly healed his mouth.


Analgesic, antibacterial, antifungal, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiparasitic, strong antiseptic, anti-viral, digestive, expectorant, immune stimulant, insecticidal, neurotonic, stimulant and tissue regenerative.


5.  DEEP BLUE (oil blend)
{muscles aches and pain, inflammation}

Deep Blue is a doTERRA proprietary blend and a God send all wrapped up in a little brown bottle!  The blend consists of wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, blue tansy, blue chamomile, helichrysum and osmanthus.  I wanted to stick to basic essentials oils that could be found at any health and wellness store because I didn't want this post to come across as a doTERRA ad.  However, this blend of essential oils is amazing!  Put away the Icy Hot, Ibuprofen etc., this oil will will do a better job of alleviating pain and soreness than those two OTC items combined!

We've rubbed it into tight shoulders, post knee surgery soreness and swelling, bruising and soreness after a fall, leg aches, pulled or strained muscles.  It's AHHmazing and replaces so many OTC products for pain relief.  


I'm a natural born doubter, as much as I love anything pure and natural...I was skeptical about essential oils.  They're expensive and make lofty claims.  But, if you go away with anything from reading ALL of this info, know that every oil has multiple uses, every oil is CPTG: certified pure therapeutic grade which means they're highly concentrated!! Only a tiny amount is necessary for BIG results, their shelf life is lengthy (years) if kept out of sunlight and yes, they're not cheap but take into consideration all of the OTC products you buy for ONE ailment.  Essential oils have multiple healing qualities and they don't MASK the problem, they heal the problem.

I'm not represented by doTERRA nor am I receiving any compensation from the company.  I simply love the product and wanted to share the good news!  If you're interested in learning more or even ordering a few oils, you can get online and find out more or you can contact me.  I'd be happy to help you get to the right place!



No comments:

Post a Comment