Friday, May 4, 2012

Plant a Hanging Basket in That Pot, Cheat a Little!



It was such a beautiful morning in Wyoming today, I had to plant something.  It's a reckless thing to do in early May but I'm a reckless kinda gal ya know.  Oh but even if my pretties freeze and die, my blissful morning will have been worth it.

First thing, I went scrounging for cheap flowers.  Check!  Diet Coke for hydration.  Check!  Good music in the car, windows down, heater OFF.  Check!  Oh yes, I was feelin it...
Score!
I decided to resort to an old trick of mine...I'm sure it's not my original idea but I thought of it.  Long ago, after leaving So. Cal for a high mountain valley and experiencing seasonal gardening ie: WINTER/ICE/SNOW/FREAKIN FREEZING to death, I learned to cheat the calendar a bit.  It's very simple, economical and best of all...pure instant gratification.  




Provisions:
1 large pot, hanging baskets are sizeable, make sure your pot is too.


1 cheap but tasteful hanging basket + little filler annuals if needed.


CW signature potting mix that you made yourself :)


Scissors, gloves, beverage, Hershey bar...in that order :)






Note:  I found this beauty at that W place that ends in mart for $12.98.  Run don't walk to your nearest big box and get your own!  You can't buy annuals to fill a basket like this for that price.  But the biggest bonus of all is the growth that took place in a greenhouse somewhere else but "appears" to be thriving in the hands of an uber gardener such as yourself :)  Nice huh?  


Okay, just snip off the hanger as shown above.




Carefully take the plant out of the pot.








Have your pot filled and ready.


PLANT!




Since I was planting a strawberry pot, I bought a 4 pk of assorted herbs for the pockets for $2.99.










I'm loving this strawberry pot, it was birthday present from my daughter, she's a love.




There you have it!  The basket trick works!  It looks like it's been growing for a month or two and will just get fuller and prettier!  Hmmm...does it look like an exploding head of flowers to you, ha!  Pretty though and definitely good for my starved color sensors.  And CHEAP.  Let's break it down...


4 (puny) premium annuals @ most gardens ctrs:  4.99 ea. 
It would cost $20.00 to fill this basket and a month or two for the growth.


See why my little trick make so much sense?  




 Another 12.98 wonder...



Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment