Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Wonderful Worm Tower - Square Foot Garden Friendly!






















Here we have another urban method for kitchen scrap composting on a small scale.  I hope you realize by now that you have NO excuse to not be composting!  For the love of Mike, so many new techniques make composting in the smallest of gardens, easy!  


The wonderful worm tower can be as small or as large as you need it to be and, for all you square foot gardeners out there...the worm tower can fit into your garden grid perfectly as you will see!







Last month, I showed you how to set up a DIY kitchen scrap composter using a galvanized can and lid.  I dug mine right into one the raised beds for two reasons:  easier digging and direct worm contact for my raised beds.  I love it!  However, it does take up space.  I like the worm tower method as well, for it's smaller footprint.  I could have multiple towers in my garden!






While reading the Square Foot Gardening Forum I came across a worm tube tutorial by Josh, a certified SFG instructor.  Very well done and informative!




He used a 5 in PVC pipe, drilled 1" holes up to the 6 in depth of a SFG box.


Note:  You can use a larger diameter pipe AND you can dig it deeper into your beds if you're not following the SFG method.








Josh drove a stake in to hold the tower upright as his was only dug in 6 in.  This wouldn't be necessary if the tower sat deeper in the soil.









Next, he added some compost (moistened peat works), a handful of worms, then kitchen scraps.











Smart chap that he is, Josh covered the hole of his capping pot with a bit of screen to keep out flies.














Nice job Josh!










If you're a visual junkie like me, here's another informative tutorial from YouTube and GardenGuy06.



The drill bit recommended by Josh and Camp Wander.



Whew, I've been looking at worms all morning...I need to get out in the sun and garden to find yet another creepy, crawly project for all of us!  No offense little worms...we do love you

Enjoy the day!


Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment