Monday, May 21, 2012

Smart Water for the Garden


Gallardia Grandiflora soaking up root strengthening brew of manure tea and "smart" water before planting.

How's this for a glamour shot? 

What you're witnessing is the working end of our garden.  This sophisticated set-up (ahem) is what we use to catch precious rain water...which seems to be non-existent this year.  However, even if these 30 gal wonders aren't catching rain, they're being topped off with hose water.  Why, you ask?



We're on a city water system which is disinfected by chlorine.  It's a widely known fact that man nor beast nor flower thrives on the stuff.  However, if you let chlorinated water sit for 24 hrs, the gases burn off.  That's all I'm doing here, filling my water station and letting the chlorine gases burn off before watering.  I also have my manure tea soaking nearby so I can easily dilute the brew with the "smart water".  




For me, this system is smart and, convenient.  Dragging the hose all over the garden to water flowers and pots is a pain!  I do use hose water too but whenever I can, I prefer using the smarter water.


Here's a link to an interesting article in Scientific American on the subject of chlorine in our drinking water if you're interested in learning more on the subject.


INCOMING!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment