Wednesday, June 27, 2012

DIY Energy Drink {Good for You Quench!}

SUMMER'S HERE!  
{AND SO IS THE HEAT!}

Pardon my beat up, road weary,  stainless steel companions, they may not be pretty but they help keep me buzzin and hydrated all day long!  Trust me, as a UPS driver, avid gardener and hiker...I know what it takes to quench a thirst and boost my energy.  


My go-to energy drink is an iced tea base drink, made with a South American tea, Yerba Mate and a bottle of Lipton Raspberry Tea.  I love, love this tea!  The combination of the two makes for a "sweet enough", thirst quenching, energizing drink.  I prefer Yerba Mate over Black Tea because of it's health benefits that are unmatched in comparison!    

1.  Rich in antioxidants
2.  Enhances ability to focus
3.  Increases physical endurance
4.  Aids digestion
5.  Helps with weight control
6.  Supports cardiovascular health

Yerba Mate contains caffeine (my BFF), but provides a sustained energy boost because of the way Yerba Mate stimulates your metabolism to use carbs efficiently.  It's also great for post workouts because it keeps lactic acid from building up in muscles!


  
Your new super healthy energy drink can of course be made in a large batches like sun tea or just enough for the day, which I prefer.  This is how I make mine...


I take a large working glass (2 Cup) and fill it 2/3 with water, pop it in the microwave until almost boiling.






Steep {3} tea bags for ten minutes. Yes I know, but you're going to want a STRONG tea which we'll dilute later.

Remove the tea bags and fill the glass with ice.  Stir it around to speed the melt and cool off the tea.

Next, grab a bottle of Lipton Raspberry Tea from the fridge, chilled is better!  


I also keep my insulated road warriors in the refrigerator overnite for cold tea all day.

About these containers:  If you use my measurements, you will have enough tea to fill a sip container and a bullet thermos.  I use the thermos to refill the Camel Back container thru the day.  I highly recommend investing in insulated, stainless steel to keep the drink COLD.  As a UPS driver, I drink this year round, even during our frigid WY winters because of how good it makes me feel and, I don't crave soda when I have this on hand!  Believe me, you will feel SO good if you drink this throughout the day!



Now all you have to do is fill your containers with 1/2 Yerba Mate and 1/2 Raspberry tea.  I usually add a couple of ice cubes too, just to help keep it cold throughout the day.

This isn't exactly an inexpensive DIY energy drink, but you'll feel so good you'll soon realize that your investment is worth it.  BUT!  This drink is much cheaper than that Red Bullish drink that tastes like hell and has no health benefits whatsoever!

You can find Yerba Mate in most all chain grocers and even though I prefer Raspberry tea, you can certainly change the flavor up too.  A splash of fresh lemon is a nice addition to all flavors as well.


To your health and well being...

A happy, healthy buzz!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment