Thursday, June 14, 2012

How to Roast Whole Chicken on a Grill & Earn Your Dessert: Impossible Coconut Pie!


Roasted chicken is a favorite...especially on the grill!  


Yesterday, I had the chance to shop at Whole Foods, I love that place.  It's kind of a big deal because we don't have anything like it in WY.  We load a cooler in the car, stock up on organic beef, chicken and fish and dash home.  Yes, I know...it's not a cheap endeavor, but I see it as an investment.  

Anyhooo, back to roasted chicken...



Quite simply, organic chicken rocks and it's not outrageously priced, even at Whole Foods.  If you haven't tried organic chicken, you're in for a HUGE surprise.  It's tastes SO much better than the industrial chicken that we find in our large chain markets!  I strongly urge you to consider organic.




These are the seasonings I like to use, the small crocks hold kosher salt and coarse black pepper.  The fresh herbs are rosemary, greek oregano and thyme...mmmm.




When I cook outside, I use a Big Green Egg which is a large ceramic cooker that can be used as a grill, oven or smoker, we love it and highly recommend one!


If you don't have a ceramic cooker, no problem.  Just make sure you have a grill that you can regulate.  A good thermometer would help immensely.  




Part of the fun of cooking outdoors is the nature factor, this little beauty stopped by to see what was for dinner.








Now that the grill is steady at 350 degrees, it's time to prep the chicken.


Prop the cavity open with a plastic spoon, and sprinkle the cavity with Costco's Organic No-Salt Seasoning (good stuff), salt and pepper too.




Now it's time to fill the cavity with flavor! Rough chopped onion, and sprigs of fresh herbs: rosemary, thyme and greek oregano.  This step is strictly for flavor, don't eat it.


Season the outside of the chicken as well by first, rubbing it with olive oil and liberally sprinkling all purpose seasoning, salt and pepper until chicken is covered with it.




Now it's time to cook!
I take the easy way out and put the chicken on as is.  You could tie the legs together but it's just fine if you lose a few onions to the grill. 








When roasting chicken, cook at 350 - 15 minutes per pound.
To make dinner even easier?  Grill some veggies and some good crusty bread while you're at it!




Such an easy and tasty meal for a summer evening!






Who wants dessert??


From the moment I saw this...


...on Pinterest of course, I've been slightly obsessed.  I love coconut cream pie and make a dang good one but, it's a lot of work for a summer day.  Along comes Julie, of The Family Kitchen with the answer to quickie coconut pie using Bisquick.  But it gets better, a recipe for "homemade" Bisquick...with butter...too!  I was sunk.





However, not all was twinkly, starry wonder in the Camp Wander kitchen as you can see.  Next time, I'll use a bigger pie plate!


In fact, next time I'll double the recipe and use a 9 X 13 baking dish.


Learn from my mistakes, that's why I'm here, to make you feel superior :)





Truthfully, I'm just as excited about the DIY Bisquick recipe as I am about the coconut pie!




Recipe:


2  C flour
1  t. baking powder
1  t. sugar
1/2  t. salt
1  stick of butter 


Combine all ingredients, cut in the butter with a food processor or a pastry cutter and store in the freezer.


I love this!










This pie is so dang easy...


1/2  C. sugar

1/2  C. homemade Bisquick
4  eggs
1/4  C. butter, melted
2  C. milk
1/2  t. vanilla
3/4  C. coconut shreds






Mix all ingredients together by hand and pour into a 12" pie plate that has been greased with spray or butter.  Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.






Pretty simple, very delicious and soul satisfying even if you lose some to the bottom of the oven.



Bon Appetit!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment