Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thugs for Hire


I have issues (doh).
  
Namely, oyster scale in my trees, threatening their existence and, annoying aphids.  We, they, I... need help!  Here in Wyoming, scale is epidemic and trees are dying at a rapid pace.  So far, the only "safe" remedy is to climb the infested tree and scrape the nasties off (did that), smother the buggers with horticultural oil (done did that), or hit em with a high power water blast (did that too).  ...and we're still fighting the fight!


I dislike scale immensely!


Systemic insecticide, a popular option is absolutely out of the question and not an option as far as I'm concerned, as it's suspect of bee colony collapse.  



And aphids...while not as lethal as scale, annoy the heck outta me and I'm fed up with them too.  I had such high hopes for my morning glory this year, it literally jumped up the tuteur after planting.  Aphids spoiled our fun and I'm HOT about it.


It's time for a hired gun, the little garden thugs themselves...Ladybugs.




These wonderful little monsters are more than good luck, so much more!  They're natural predators of aphids and scale, I'm praying they find and eliminate the demons seeking to undermine our hard earned flora that we fight for and nurture everyday.


Rustic had just returned home from Ace Hardware and mentioned that they had Ladybugs.  Whoop!  I burned rubber in the cul de sac on my way out...picked up 4 containers and gave the little red thugs a pep talk all the way home about what they need to do.  FEAST on horrid scale and enjoy aphids for dessert.


As per instructions, I watered because the thugs will be thirsty and you don't want them flying away to find a drink somewhere else.  I should tell you that evening release is optimal but we've had such nasty winds, I decided to release them in the morning when it's calm.




I set them free in 3 different places in the backyard and it was FUN.  I was still in my "blogging clothes" PJs way too long because it was SO cool watching them get organized!  I was a natural "scarecrow" I tell ya, but very effective in frightening the hungry birds away :)


...and they're off!

Get em!!


Get some :)




Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment