Monday, March 5, 2012

Aunt Betty's English Muffin Bread

"How can a nation be great if its bread tastes like Kleenex?"
Julia Child 

English Muffin Bread getting a rub down.

Yesterday was a lazy Sunday afternoon at our house.  For once, the wind calmed and the temperature rose (a little), it turned out to be a beautiful day in WY, nice enough outside to open doors and windows!  

My heart was so happy about this, I made bread.

First of all, I am not a bread maker.  Let me make that perfectly clear.  However, this recipe makes me feel that I am, because it's ridiculously easy.  Any recipe like that should be passed down from generation to generation like this one has, and let me tell ya, it's stood the test of time!  Family, correct me if I'm wrong but I count at least 3 generations that this recipe has graced.




In honor of lazy Sunday afternoons and because I like you, I've pulled my original recipe card from the Rebecca Archives to share with you.  Awwww, now I'm feeling all nostalgic, family recipes are so wonderful and special, cherish em!

Ok, this recipe my friends is very simple.  The bread dough only has to rise once, love that!

5 1/2 C. warm water or H2O (I might have been a dork back in the day)
3 pkg Yeast or 3 T. if you buy by the jar
2 T. salt
3 T. sugar
11 C. flour

Here we go!



Mix your very warm water and yeast together first.  Give it a stir and leave it be for a few minutes.




Combine all of the dry ingredients in a very big bowl.




...and mix with a big old wooden spoon, any big spoon will do.  See how easy this is????




Ok, you're doing great!  Now just cover up the bowl and let the dough rise until it's doubled in size.  Takes about an hour.  


Did I mention this bread makes the BEST toast in the universe?



Here we have "double in size".  So pretty.  Please note:  The dough will be sticky!




Now all you have to do is grease your bread pans really well and divide up your bread dough accordingly.  Dive in with both hands!  As I mentioned before, the dough will be sticky but that's good.  Fill each bread pan a little more than halfway and if one is short some dough, grab a handful from another pan and even out.  As you can see, this is a rustic bread and there will be no smoothing out do you hear me??  The bumpier the better!


For some reason, I have gigantic bread pans so one batch only fills two pans for me.  But, if you have normal pans, you should get three to four loaves.


The beauty of this bread?  It doesn't need to rise in the pan too.  These rough hewn dough babies are ready for the oven now.  350 for 35 min.  


After 35 min, slide the pans out so you can brush each one with melted butter!  Oh how I love the stuff, it makes everything pretty but my thighs.  




Now, put the mountains of divinity back into the oven please for 10 more minutes.  Now the golden loveliness will deepen in color and all will be amazed at your culinary skills.




Holy Mother of Bread!  Notice how they're practically screaming at you for butter and honey.  My DIL's, Ashley's Honey Butter is pretty darn good on this bread too, but that's her story to tell :)


I leave you with this little nugget of profoundness...because Mr. Fisher is correct, the smell of bread baking is a reverent moment when all seems right with the world.  Your men will fall at your feet in gratitude, always a plus.



"The smell of good bread baking, like the sound of lightly flowing water, is indescribable in its evocation of innocence and delight."
M. F. K. Fisher (1908-1992)





XOXO


Rebecca 
...of honey and butter.





No comments:

Post a Comment