Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cilantro Pesto & Mario Batali's Favorite Pasta


This recipe is one of the easy ones and so very yummy!

I love pesto, but only when it's made from scratch.  Bottled pesto, in my humble opinion is a travesty and not worthy of good pasta, and I have an opinion re: good pasta too.  

I have an opinion on a lot of things, it's what I do and who I am.   

Pesto made with cilantro is really good!  I like it better than a basil base, which is the traditional choice.  And lets face it, basil ain't cheap and not always available, cilantro saves the day in those regards!  And for those of you wary of a strong cilantro flavor, don't you worry my pretties...the cilantro is actually more mild in taste than basil.





The cast of characters for delicious PESTO.

1/2  C.  extra virgin olive oil
2 C.  cilantro
1/2 C.  parmesan cheese
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 C. rough chopped nuts
salt & pepper to taste

Here it comes, another opinion...

Use good olive oil, don't buy the cheap stuff because your food is only as good as your olive oil.  I bet you $50 that Mario would agree with me on this one.



Wash and rinse cilantro, give it a rough chop.


Rough chop for the garlic too.


Nuts:  You can use pecans, macadamia nuts, pine nuts and even walnuts.


Oh how I love this stuff.


Beautiful! 

Put everything into a food processor or blender and pulse.  You may need to add a little more olive oil and, a pinch of salt and pepper.  Careful with the salt though because the parmesan cheese is salty.


So pretty and so good for you and your tastebuds.


This is my favorite way to eat pasta and pesto, with grilled chicken!

Let's talk about pasta, shall we?


Love, adore and hoard this pasta!

Word has it that Mr. Batali, likes this pasta.  Rustichella Bucatini.  Bucatini is like a larger spaghetti.  It has substance, a beautiful "bite" if you will.  I can find it at Whole Foods but it's most affordable on Amazon (when it isn't sold out!)  Our household is never without this stuff and if we are, it's a sad, sad day.

There we have it people, a great idea for dinner tonight!  While you're shopping for your ingredients, don't forget a good crusty bread and a nice bottle of Chardonnay...impress the hell outta your people.  Move like Mario!  (Jagger...get it?)

XOXO!

Rebecca...wannabe Italian





No comments:

Post a Comment