Monday, March 12, 2012

Homemade Pop Tarts!


Purty, aren't they?

I saw this brilliant idea on Bake Me More and immediately thought:  "Oh this is a great way to use those leftover pie crust scraps!"  When I go to the trouble of making pie crust from scratch, it near kills me to throw any extra away.


My dear Mom always rolled out her leftover pie crust dough, sprinkled cinnamon and sugar, cut in strips then baked them for 10 minutes.  They are yummy too!  But pop tarts is a new twist and I can see my little ones loving these!


Honey & Jam has a nice tutorial if you would like to link over.  She used boxed pie crust which is another great idea and time saver for all of us busy people but, I make pie a lot (Mikes Rustic Apple Pie) so I do homemade all the way :)




Roll out the dough.




Add a filling.  Jam, brown sugar and cinnamon with a little chopped apple, Nutella.  
Get a little crazy and experiment and be sure to let me know!




Fold over the dough and use a fork to pinch side closed.



Brush with a little egg white for a nice sheen.



Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes!


There you go!  A quick little pastry that's a whole lot better for you than the store bought kind.  Have fun and let me know what yummy combinations you came up with!

Have an excellent Monday!

XOXO!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment