Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Springtime Chores: The To-Do or...Not List




TGSAH!
(thank George summer's almost here!)




*My Spring To Do List*
*sigh*


  • Organize the Spring Clean chore list.  (me and Martha go round & round on this one)*
  • Buy birdseed and start feeding the buggers.  (they're mating and hungry)*
  • Hunt high and low for the first pansies of the year to go on sale.  (I NEED COLOR)*
  • Check and recheck for dry soil.  (in the West, our gardens dry out during winter)*

*Disclaimer:  I cannot commit to this list, nor the order thereof.  I reserve the right to complete freedom.
(I'm camp wander, remember?)





The Spring Clean.

See this?  This is what Martha expects of me, every F-word (freaking) YEAR!


Look how she gazes right through my SOUL...


I'm a grown woman for the love of Mike, so why am I afraid of Martha? 
For the love of vinegar, I ask you...WHY?  

So, here's my plan.  With regards to the spring chores weighing heavily on my mind, I will commit to drafting the Spring S-word (shoot) list.  I refuse to be manipulated into filling up each square of a whole month on the calendar just because it looks really cool and organized.  

  • Spring Clean:  Check!


For the Birds.

This picture makes me laugh, they mean business I tell ya.

I like looking out my kitchen window at the bird feeder.  It's comforting to me to know that I'm providing a service to our winged friends, but have you ever noticed how mean they are?  Seriously, watching them at the feeder takes me back to the dinner table of my youth.  Six hungry kids, survival of the fittest instinct pulsing through our hungry veins.  Ugly.  My plan?  Feed the little buggers.

  • Buy bird feed, the good stuff - local birds are crazy street smart:  Check!



Find & Buy Pansies.

I kid you not, these pansies (violas) are named "Rebecca".  They are fragrant and perennial therefore, they are my favorite.


This chore is easy.  But, most likely I will have to leave WY to find them this early.  Did you know that you can plant pansies in pots before fear of frost is gone?  Yessir, they can get dusted or even buried in snow and be just fine throughout the Spring.  They are so sweet, I'll drive clear to UT for them.  I'll hit Whole Foods too, double bonus!

  • Buy Pansies:  Check!

Check for Dry Soil, Water where Needed.

So pretty and so not going to grow in my backyard.

This bullet point on the Spring chore list is a fun one too.  Because soon, we will be GARDENING in Wyoming!  Can I have a moment of silence please.

Because it's so dry and cold here in the winter months, we need to be vigilant about our gardens.  Especially trees (we cherish our trees), trees need to be deep watered in late fall and early Spring.  If they're newly planted, they need to be watered several times in the middle of Winter.  

Also, the compost needs to be turned and kept moist.  As soon as the beds show signs of thaw, that's the time to start spreading compost.


Warning:  Shameless Plug!


My daughter works at our local nursery.  It's a beautiful, creative space and every summer I marvel at what an amazing nursery it is.  I've seen a lot of nurseries too!  I'm a So. Cal. native, we know our nurseries.  Anyhoo, stop by their FB page and give them a warm, friendly "LIKE".  They do such a good job at keeping the yocal locals educated about our crazy gardening zone (zones 3 or 4, BOO!!) and a few "LIKES" from distant lands would be neato. Thx!


www.facebook.com/pages/Riverside-Nursery-and-Greenhouse/294494800607318



Okay, that's enough planning for one day.  Chores and Martha, can kiss my calendar.




Happy Spring my Friends!
Stay foolish, stay hungry & never let em see you sweat...

Watch out for Martha!

XOXO!
NOT afraid of Martha.






No comments:

Post a Comment