Sunday, March 18, 2012

My Mighty Smart Oven




The Breville Smart Oven

Not too long ago, Rustic and me decided to remodel the kitchen...an exciting and exasperating project as many of you know.  We definitely had a budget.  Sadly, there would be no shiny, restaurant quality Wolf or Viking appliances and, other sacrifices would have to be made but the kitchen turned out very nice and I'm grateful for it.

On the flipside, we were fortunate enough to be able to rip out old cabinets and put in custom built cabinets with granite counter tops.  We would keep our refrigerator for the time being ie: until it dies.  The range would stay too.  But oh how I wanted another oven!  There just wasn't room for another oven without bumping out an exterior wall and that option was definitely not in the budget.  


But as life often happens, a better option was just around the corner.  Soon a mighty smart oven would come into my life, it would surprise me, impress me AND... 

...become the 2nd oven that I couldn't fit in the budget!  







Let the story unfold...

Once upon a Christmastime, I thought my youngest son, who now had his own little house could use a "toaster oven" to heat up assorted guy foods:  pizza, chili, the night before leftovers from wherever food could be found.  You know, nothing fancy.   


Fancy.


I was pretty excited about this idea for my young one, it would be so practical in so many ways.  He might actually bake or toast something therefore, eat better.  And me, being the kind of Mom that "appreciates" state of the art appliances, thought paying a bit more for this well known Australian brand would be a good idea.  After all, I wouldn't want anything bursting into flame in the "chateau".  


Mr. Carefree:  Non-owner of the Mighty Smart Oven
*grin*

The big day came and the thoughtful present was a great big, bust.  If you can believe this, my 21 yr old wasn't very excited about this fine appliance.  I held it together though, I had myself a little plan.  


After 5 kids, a smart Mom always has a plan.



I  kept it. 

Now my Mighty Smart Oven and I coexist surprisingly well and are living happily ever after in a medium size kitchen somewhere in Wyoming.  An added bonus:  Mr. Carefree covets it whenever he comes to visit because he's seen firsthand how much we use it and love it.  


Don't you just love validation?

As story time gently comes to a close, there's some oven facts and feats that I want to share  with regards to my fine Australian appliance.  




There are several accessories available for the Breville Smart Oven.  However the bamboo cutting board with silicone feet made especially for this oven by Breville is a necessity.  This item is a must because the top of the oven gets hot when you use the bake, broil or roast settings.  


I like the cutting board for these additional reasons:


1.  The cutting board serves as a food warmer when oven is in use.
2.  The cutting board is removable and can be used for....a cutting board!
3.  The cutting board has silicone feet that will not melt in high heat.
4.  The cutting board can be used as a trivet.


This particular smart oven has both a conventional and a convection setting which speeds up cooking by 30%.  We have baked pies, roasted vegetables, meats and nuts, made toast, dried tomatoes, baked cookies including the fabulous Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie, (see previous post).  Anything our big oven can do, this Mighty Smart Oven can do just as well.  The only limitation is size. 


In summary, Mr. Carefree's loss was our gain, this oven has saved us money and time and allowed so much more flexibility to our menus because we now have 2 ovens.  I highly recommend this option if you too are missing a 2nd oven option in your home.  


It's available and affordable on Amazon:
Breville BOV800XL The Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ


Give it a look see if you're a single oven family, it truly is an impressive appliance.  Even the 21 yr old would agree....now :)


XOXO!


Rebecca...a double oven woman!


No comments:

Post a Comment