Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Lion House: Coconut Cream Pie

It was a beautiful day in Wyoming and I felt human again.  So human in fact, I made a pie.  We love cream pies, we are mad for cream pies.  Not everyone in the family likes to make them though.  I think my sister JoAnn and myself are the only designated cream pie makers.  Truth be told, custard is time consuming, pie crust from scratch is too but when the two come together...Oh man! Oh man!


We have a particular favorite cream pie recipe, an oldie but a goody from Lion House Recipes.  It was published in 1980 and my cookbook looks every bit of 32 years old. 


The Lion House resides in Salt Lake City and is a restored, historical home of Brigham Young.  The ground floor of the home has been turned into a kitchen where the most fabulous comfort food imaginable is served.  


When The Lion House Cookbook was finally published we drove from California to Utah to buy one, just for the cream pie recipe.  Possibly a slight exaggeration...but next ski trip to Utah, that book was mine.


And I'm going to share it with you...because it's so good...custard is pure happiness and, it's my birthday soon.






Basic Cream Pie


5  T. cornstarch
1  C. sugar
1/4  t. salt
2 1/2 C. milk 2% or whole
3/4  C. half and half
3  egg yokes
2  T. butter
1  t. vanilla
1  C. whipping cream


1 baked pie shell



Combine cornstarch, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.  Heavy bottomed pan is best.




Add to dry mix:


2 - 1/2 C. milk 2% or whole
3/4  C. half and half



Stir and cook over medium until smooth and thick, stirring constantly.  I let mine come to a slow bubbly boil for about 2 minutes before the next step.  It's important to stir constantly at this point so the custard doesn't begin to burn.




The next step is to pour a small amount of the custard in with 3 egg yolks and mix with a fork or whisk.  Pour the egg/custard mixture back into the saucepan and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.  The egg yolk is going to thicken the custard.  You're almost done!







Now it's time to remove from heat, add 2 T. butter and 1 t. vanilla, stir.


Your custard is complete and ready to receive 1/2 cup coconut shreds, pour in and stir.







Fill a pie shell and chill for 4 to 5 hours.  When ready to serve, top with whipped cream...decadent combination I tell you.










I had a house full of family waiting for dessert tonight.  What is it about a homemade pie that can fill a room?  Well worth a little extra effort in my book!


XOXO!


Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much. My Mom has the Lion House recipe cookbook as well. This is a family staple of ours too! I was happy to see you posted it!

    ReplyDelete