Friday, March 16, 2012

Kickin BBQ Sauce


Who wouldn't want this kind of gift?  Kickin BBQ sauce!

The weather is undoubtedly Spring like in Wyoming today!  The days are longer and it's oh so hard to come in the house to fix dinner.  By this time of year, I'm all for anything grilled, BBQ'd or smoked...outside.  

Fortunately for me, my oldest son is an official BBQ Pit Master, on the competition circuit year round.   So trust me when I say that I may have an "in" when it comes to all things BBQ.  He's responsible for The Big Green Egg on our back deck...without him, I never would have known the pleasure of smoking, grilling, baking and roasting on that big, goofy looking ceramic cooker.  But we'll save that story for later, when my brown backyard is green again.





Until I get permission to use the "Pit Master's" super secret weapon BBQ sauce, I'll share Emeril's yummy recipe for now.

1 T.  vegetable oil
1  medium onion, finely chopped
3  garlic cloves, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1  C.  ketchup
1  C.  beef broth
3/4  C. cider vinegar
1/4  C. packed light brown sugar
1/2  t.  ground cinnamon
1/2  t.  ground cumin
1/2  t.  ground coriander
1/2  t.  celery salt
1/4  t.  cayenne pepper




In a medium saucepan, heat oil on medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened...about 30 minutes.



Just a suggestion, but I would venture to say that IF you made a double or even triple batch of this "suck your fingers" sauce to give away and bottled it up nice and manly/pretty like this...with a special basting brush, your Dad, girlfriend, wife, Mom, BFF, boss, cranky neighbor, ex-husband, pastor, underling, dog catcher etc. would now be putty in your hands and feel unworthy of your kindness (leverage people, leverage!).  


Go forth and BBQ things!


XOXO!

Rebecca...of lump charcoal and all things green and egg like.

No comments:

Post a Comment