Friday, March 30, 2012

Dirt, Wine & Gratitude



I long for summer.  Let me be her...knee deep in crops.



It was 68 degrees in southwestern WY today, an absolute marvel of weather and season.  I spent the early morning getting life's business out of way so I could get out in the garden and prep for this year's crop of herbs, tomatoes and flowers.  Yippee!






Quick memo on why I even have time to spend in the garden on a week day.  I was hurt on the job the end of December of 2011.  I finally had the surgery I needed 2 weeks ago.  I'm on the mend but won't be able to go back to work for 6 to 8 more weeks so it's strange but SO wonderful being close to my garden everyday and even more strange to have thawed beds in March.  I finally arrived home and put on my boots first thing.  I spent 5 hrs clearing last years garden out, watering the compost pile, raking leaves that were frozen to the ground in October and soaking in the sun.  My body was tired, my knee hurt, I was dirty, hungry and thirsty and having the time of my life.  Lord how I've missed this!  I belong in the garden, my DNA must have dirt and manure in it.  For me, all things point to the garden, it's my true north.


Ironically enough, my initial plan for today's blog was somewhat of a frolicking correlation between gardening and drinking Jargaritas :)


Because there's something to do with warm days and hard work, that a cold drink just makes sense at the end of a long day.  But after my long day in the garden and a 1/2 bottle of Sonoma's best, I find myself in a happy, mellow mood and all I want to do is get Zen and wax poetic about life and dirt.  We get a little crazy here on Friday nights.






Simply stated, I love dirt.  I love the sun.  I love hard work.  I love seasons, even the endless brown one.  I love watching the robins come in to bathe in the birdbath, I love knowing that our grand-babies can crawl across the lawn and into flower beds, safe to discover nature because we garden organically.  I love that my daughters and sons have gardens of their own and that somewhere along the way, they understood.  And...last but not least...


I love sipping a libation in the garden after a day's worth of labor.  I just do and soon, I'll do that jargarita post!  

All it all, it was a very good day in the life of me and a few dirty robins.


 Have a great weekend y'all!

XOXO! 

Rebecca


No comments:

Post a Comment