Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Granola, the Breakfast Kind



The Breakfast Kind.

Urban Dictionary:

Granola:  A person who dresses like a hippy, eats natural foods (granola), and is usually a Liberal, but in all other ways is a typical middle class white person, and is likely to revert back to being straight when they finish college.

Did you see that granola chick at the farmer's market buying bean sprouts? 
Yeah, her new Volvo was parked next to me.

I digress, I can't help it!  Now let's focus on the edible kind, shall we?







Ingredients:  5 cups rolled oats,  3/4  t. salt,
1 1/2  t. cinnamon, 1  1/2 cups chopped almonds,  3/4 cup coconut shreds, 1 cup honey, 1 cup brown sugar,  1/2 cup hot water,  1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil.  Bake @ 325 for 45 minutes.































Rough chop makes for a crunchy bite!





It's best, in my opinion to melt your coconut oil this way.  I'm not a fan of the microwave.




Butter a large cookie sheet generously, a large roasting pan would work well too.




Spread the granola mix evenly over your well-greased pan.  Place in preheated oven and stir every 15 minutes.  Bake 45 minutes total.  


When your granola is filling your entire home with scents of oats and cinnamon, you will be that much closer to some of the best granola of your life, trust me.




After I take my granola out of the oven, I learned NOT to let it cool on the cookie sheet because it WILL stick.  Take my word for it and transfer your batch to a very big bowl for the cooling process.  As it cools, give it a stir now and then to keep it from clumping.  But don't worry, if it gets clumpy in the cooling process you'll be able to break it apart easily enough when in fact it is cool.







This granola really is just so delicious, I can't buy store bought granola anymore and there's no need now for you either now that you're armed with the means to make your own.


Note:  It's a great neighbor gift too.  Fill up a trusty mason jar, tie with ribbon and personalized tag and you will make someone's week with this yummy treat that's GOOD for you.  Don't forget your college students, or out of nesters...they will appreciate a homemade treat from home too!


Enjoy your day my friends!


XOXO


Rebecca of the Urban Dictionary ;)
























No comments:

Post a Comment